Tuesday, July 21, 2009

5 Things I Love Right Now

From time to time, I run across various items that become such a part of my daily life that I feel like I want to scream from the roof top, "Run out and buy this ladies, it is that wonderful." So the following is a list of 5 of those items that I use, wear, love, and recommend.

Lush Cosmetics BIG Shampoo

I first discovered this shampoo on a trip to Chicago and I have been hooked ever since. It retails at $21.35 for 11.6 oz., so it is not cheap, but I truely believe that it is worth every penny. It is admittedly an odd shampoo; the texture is grainy and you don't squirt it out of a bottle. Rather, you take about a quarter size scoop of it out of the pot and rub it into your scalp. The results are amazing. My hair (which I have a lot of) is shiny and bouncy for the duration of that day. Because it is on the expensive side, I alternate it with various other less expensive shampoos, but if I am going out or just feel like having a great hair day, this is the shampoo that I turn to. It is available online here http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/bottled-shampoos/big. There is also a lush counter in the cosmetics department at the Macy's at Tuttle Mall in the C-bus.
Lucky Magazine

One of the things that drives me crazy about fashion magazines is all the crap that they throw in that has nothing to do with fashion. Like that section in one of the magazines (can't remember which one) called "It's Okay to..." and then they list about ten things below it like, "It's okay to eat two pieces of chocolate cake instead of just one." The whole thing takes up an entire page that could've been devoted to showing me the latest handbag trends or bronzers. Well, there is none of that in Lucky magazine; no advice columns, no stories about how to improve your sex life; just pages and pages of fashion advice, trends, and options. And unlike some of the high end magazines like Vogue, the editors always provide cheaper options alongside the expensive designer pieces. That is why Lucky magazine is the only fashion magazine that I actually subscribe to. While I may pick up other magazines at the drugstore from time to time, because the editors at Lucky have managed to make fashion accessible to the average woman, I consider it a must-have.

Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil
I am sure that by now most of you have heard of, if not already tried, the bare minerals product line from Bare Escentuals. I am a huge fan of the mineral veil translucent powder. I have normal to oily skin, and this is the first powder that I've used that provides coverage throughout the day and doesn't wear off. It also hides imperfections (like the sun spots that I've accumulated over the years) nicely. It retails at $19 and is available online at http://www.bareescentuals.com/. There are also Bare Escentuals stores in the malls at Tuttle and Polaris. It is also available at Sephora, also located at Polaris mall, and on QVC.

Banana Republic Bejeweled Orchid Hair Clip

I seriously am in love with this hair clip. Whenever I don't feel like doing my hair for work, I twist my hair up into a bun and put in this hair clip and am ready to go. It is currently available at Banana Republic and retails for only $16. It adds instant femininity to any outfit that I put on!
Scott Barnes Body Bling

This is the best body bronzer that I've found and believe me I have tried quite a few. It doesn't have any self-tanner in it so it actually smells very good unlike many body bronzers that I've tried. The bronzer itself is quite dark even on my medium skin tone, so when I apply it, I mix it with equal parts body lotion for a more natural sun-kissed look. Note that you have to let it fully dry before you put your clothes on though or else it will rub off onto your clothes. The sheen that this bronzer provides though seriously is the best. Retailing at $49, it is not cheap, but one bottle will last you quite a while, particularly when mixed with body lotion. Unfortunately, I just ran out of mine and when I went to purchase another bottle I learned that it is sold out everywhere. The website indicates that it will be relaunced soon and you can sign up to be notified for when you can pre-order it here: http://www.scottbarnes.tv/news/2009/03/26/the-relaunch-of-body-bling/

No comments: